Monday, January 26, 2009

PLN: Lost Generation

In the video “Lost Generation” what matters is inspiring a generation that was said to be lost to rise up and create a destiny for themselves and change the world. The clip proposes that this generation will end up at the bottom of the current downward spiral of society unless they choose to reverse it, and if they reverse it then they can change the world completely. Why would this concern me? Because I am a part of that generation that is doomed to be lost unless we do something about it. As I walk through everyday I see people just like me all around, enjoying life, and having fun. But as I watch closer I realize just how selfish, lazy, heartless, and mindless we all are, and that is where we will fall. As I watch I see people walk right by the handicapped person struggling with their car door, or toss their fast food cup on the ground because they are too lazy to hold it until they find a trashcan. I see people snatch the last cookie because they realize someone else was about to take it, or the most common one are people talking behind others back saying things that didn’t need to be said and only hurt more people. To reverse these acts would take only a minute or two but our generation has become so accustomed to acting this way that it wouldn’t even cross their mind to do the opposite. Could it be that if we as a generation can’t find a way to reverse our downward spiral that we will be lost? And could it be that the first step to changing the world takes place in our own backyard? Could it be as simple as helping some or choosing not to talk when you know it will only hurt people? Just the thought of a whole generation being lost and being known for allowing society to fall completely is dreadful. But there is hope. We can choose to choose our destiny, we can choose to make a different decision, and we can choose to change the world starting with our own backyard.

No comments: